Your home’s roof is your first line of defense against the elements, and it often takes a beating during severe weather conditions. Storms, whether they bring heavy rains, strong winds, hail, or even tornadoes, can cause significant damage to your entire property. When your roof sustains storm damage, it’s crucial to take prompt action to prevent further deterioration and protect your home’s interior. Below, we’ll discuss what you should do if your roof has undergone storm damage, including the steps to take and the importance of hiring local roofing contractors for roof repair and replacement services.
Assess the Damage
The most crucial step in dealing with storm damage is to assess the destruction. However, safety should always be your priority. Don’t climb on your roof immediately after a storm as it may be unstable or slippery. Instead, wait for the weather to clear and inspect your roof from the ground. Look for the following signs of damage:
- Missing or damaged shingles – Check for shingles that have blown off or are visibly cracked, torn, or lifted.
- Dents – If you experienced hail, look for marks on the shingles, especially on metal roofs.
- Clogged gutters – Storm debris can accumulate in your gutters, preventing proper drainage and causing water to pool.
- Leaks and water stains – Inside, check for leaks and water stains on ceilings and walls, which may indicate roof leaks.
- Sagging or deteriorated roof deck – Inspect your attic for signs of sagging or rotting.
Contact a Local Roofing Company
Once you’ve assessed the damage, it’s time to connect with a professional roofing contractor experienced in storm damage roof repairs. Hiring a local company has several advantages:
- Familiarity with local weather – Local contractors are well-versed in the weather that affects your area and can recommend the best roofing materials to withstand storms in your region.
- Timely response – A local roofing company will respond to your call quickly to assess the damage and provide an estimate so you can get your home back to its pre-storm condition.
- Knowledge of local building codes – Local roofing companies are familiar with building codes and regulations, ensuring that your repairs or replacements meet all requirements.
- Community reputation – Local companies have a reputation to uphold in the community, making them more likely to provide quality work and excellent customer service.
Your roofing contractor will perform a thorough inspection and provide a detailed report of the damages. Based on their evaluation, they can recommend the best plan to address the damage.
Roof Repair vs. Roof Replacement
Depending on the severity of the storm damage, your roofing contractor will recommend either roof repair or roof replacement services.
- Roof repair – If the damage is minimal and limited to a few shingles or small leaks, a roof repair may be sufficient. Repairs can include shingle replacement, sealing leaks, and addressing minor structural issues,
- Roof replacement – If the damage is extensive, such as widespread shingle loss, significant water damage, or structural issues, roof replacement services may be the best option.
If your homeowner’s insurance covers storm damage, contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Document the damage with photographs and make a list of all visible issues. Your roofing contractor can assist you with the claims process by providing detailed estimates and working with the insurance adjuster to ensure you receive fair compensation.
Call the Local Roofing Contractors at Romero Roofing & Siding
Storm damage is stressful, but with prompt action and the right contractor, you can minimize the damage and protect your home. At Romero Roofing & Siding, we’re your storm damage repair professionals. Call us today at 610-487-0262 for an emergency or to learn more about our roof repair and replacement services.