Windows play more of a role in the design and function of your home than people often think. Choosing the right windows for your house can greatly impact energy savings, layout, and lighting. Today, the options for custom windows are endless, which can be overwhelming for homeowners. Lucky for you, our team of professionals at Romero Roofing & Siding has created the perfect guide for you to be able to sort through the variety of window choices and select the best window types for you and your home.
Know the Signs It’s Time for a Window Replacement
There are a variety of signs that it may be time for you to get your windows replaced. Consider some of these signs below to know if now is the right time to begin a new window journey:
- Your windows have a single-pane glass or temperature-conductive frames and sashes. This type of material is inefficient in protecting your home from weather events and is unable to properly insulate your home from heat or cold. Getting these windows replaced will always be beneficial.
- Your windows are in poor condition. Windows that have seen better days can often pose the threat of leaks and further damage to your home. Even pest infections are a higher risk when your windows are in poor condition.
- Your windows are showing safety concerns. Windows that aren’t opening or shutting completely can be dangerous when extreme weather events occur. Similarly, a window that is weak or loose is most likely in need of a replacement.
After deciding that you need to replace your windows, there are four aspects to consider besides Googling, “window installation near me.”
Getting a wood frame adds extra benefits that an aluminum frame doesn’t like better insulation from the heat and cold. However, there are plenty of other options to choose from that present benefits your home might appreciate.
- Vinyl: this less expensive option provides improved energy efficiency with insulated glass and tight construction that reduces air leakage.
- Wood-clad: these types of windows offer a combination of a lower-maintenance exterior that would be offered with vinyl and aluminum and an energy-efficient interior like wood. However, wood-clad windows can be more vulnerable to water damage, causing rotting.
- Composite: Composite windows are made from wood shavings and plastic resins. Because of the material, these windows appear to be wood but are extremely low maintenance.
When getting custom windows, you’ll also need to consider the kind of glass your windows will have. Although there are plenty of options you can select from to try to lower your utility bills, a double-pane window with low-E glass and a vacuum-sealed argon fill is highly efficient in reducing energy consumption, and it won’t break the bank! These kinds of windows provide much more insulation than a single-pane window while protecting your house from the heat and UV light. When looking for the appropriate glass for you, it’s important to pay attention to its Energy Star Status, ratings are given by the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC). This will tell you the energy efficiency quality of the glass you choose.
Transoms can make a big difference in the appearance of your windows. While there are fixed transoms that are for design purposes only, “active” transoms are becoming more popular for their ability to open and let fresh air in. Adding this simple feature can add depth and elegance to your home while also increasing your energy efficiency. In all your research looking for a “window replacement near me,” make sure to consider an active transom.
Installation is the most important aspect of getting a window replacement. If a window is not installed properly, all of your time and research will be wasted. Pre-installation waterproofing well before the windows are installed is the best option to ensure your home is protected from leaks and water damage, something that is a major risk with poor installation.
Rely on Romero Roofing & Siding
Stop your search for “the best window replacement near me…” you’ve already found the best services in town! Here at Romero Roofing & Siding, we are dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and quality, so your windows can last a while. Learn more about our window services and contact us today to get started!